Previously, the “Oratorium der Heiligen (Holy) Maria” church stood for almost 1,000 years at the site of the present day square. Built by “Heiligen (Saint) Goar”, it had fallen into disrepair and was demolished in 1772. The nearby “Stiftskirche” church had been built to accommodate the numerous pilgrims to Saint Goar’s grave, as the original chapel had become too small to accommodate them all. The houses at the church square were built from 1925 onwards.
The church square in the centre of St. Goar is close to the ferry across the Rhine to the Lorelei rock face and open-air theatre.
The “Rheinfels”, the largest and most magnificent of the Rhine castle ruins with its maze of underground tunnels, stands directly above St. Goar – and is well worth a visit.
Five different circular hiking routes, for 4, 3 or 21/2 hours duration, offer stunningly panoramic views of the Rhine. Click on www.wanderfreunde-stgoar.de under “Mythos Loreley” and “Werlauer Schweiz” for descriptions of the routes.